Add to GuideAsk a Question

Cleaning With Bleach

Category Advice


Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.

By 1 found this helpful
October 9, 2012

Can you mix Dawn with bleach safely?

By Kathy Editor's Note: Most dish detergents today, including Dawn, add ammonia for cleaning power. This will react badly with bleach and cause toxic gas to form.


Carefully read your packaging for any warnings about mixing with bleach before proceeding.


June 28, 20170 found this helpful
Best Answer

It is safe to mix with SOME Dawn Dishwashing soap, though I have to admit that my cleaning results were not as great and wonderful as many websites claim. Read the back of the Dawn (or other dish soap) bottle. Some varieties of Dawn say nothing about bleach -- these are OK to mix. There is at least one (blue) that specifically says "Do Not Mix With Bleach." This one is not safe.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
August 7, 20170 found this helpful
Best Answer

Check your labels. The original Dawn formula has changed over the years and many dish soaps now contain ammonia. This causes toxic fumes when mixed with bleach. Most dish soaps carry a warning not to use with bleach.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 28, 20180 found this helpful
Best Answer

Absolutely do not mix Dawn dish soap with bleach. There is an inadequate tiny warning on the back of the bottle that I did not see. Right now, I am airing my house out because of the fumes. I am nauseous and had to call Poison Control. They advised to drink a lot of water and sit in a steam bath.


I also had to throw out the shirt I was washing. I can buy a new shirt but I don't know if my nose will ever be the same and who knows what other problems I may have in the future. That's it for Dawn soap for me. Total bullocks it can be used on animals, ie their bogus marketing campaign

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question...

By 0 found this helpful
October 6, 2010

The bleach that I buy says to use 3/4 cup of bleach to 1 gallon of water to clean showers, tubs, sinks, etc. My husband puts 2 cups of bleach in a 1 quart spray bottle then adds water and uses it to spray down the shower walls and floor (tile and grout) after showering. I think this is way too much, but he argues that "it doesn't hurt anything". Is this true? What happens when you use too much bleach in a solution?


By SavingGrace from Patterson, CA


October 7, 20100 found this helpful
Best Answer

A friend of mine uses bleach for everything and has removed the shine on almost all of the same. I would follow the highly dilited recipe. Unless the tub is ceramic it will lose its luster and get soiled quickly.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 8, 20100 found this helpful
Best Answer

Using too much bleach for cleansing/sanitizing can cause not only damage to the item but, more importantly, cumulative lung damage so let your husband know that it can hurt! You would be much better off using a non-chlorine bleach (they contain hydrogen peroxide instead of chlorine) and always sticking to the manufacturers suggested mixing recommendation ratio because they have good reasons for their recommendations!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 8, 20100 found this helpful
Best Answer

Can't remember where I read it, but I remember reading something that stated a 1:10 dilution of bleach was more effective than using bleach straight!


Several other things to consider:
1) In chemistry lab, one is taught that you should always add the concentrated chemical (bleach) to the water, not the water to the bleach. This is for safety.
2) You should not have to be spraying after every shower for mildew. If you really want to, check this article:  y-cleaner-349641
3) OSHA does not recommend bleach for porous surfaces. The mildew comes back because its "roots" are deep in the grout and not killed by the bleach on the surface.
4) another recipe some people suggest is using rubbing alcohol in the sprayer.
5) Bleach is a base, and they are corrosive by nature, especially concentrated. Grout and tub surfaces can be damaged with daily use.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question...
<< First< Previous
Related Content
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceAugust 20, 2013
Thanksgiving Ideas!
Halloween Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2018 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2018/10/17 08:12:39 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️
Loading Something Awesome!